Saturday, January 4, 2020

White male privledge

White Male Privilege- Going into this trip, I wanted to learn about my white male privilege (WMP) on a deeper level. This is mostly due to the lack of opportunity to discuss my questions further with my peers given the nature of the online program to create a bit of isolation. South Africa is a country where WMP awareness is heightened because of the historical context. Some key learnings I gathered on this course through great feedback from my professor and others in the course centered on how I want to allow others to take up space in society. As a white male, it is very easy and often expected, that I take up the conversational real estate. Recognizing this and allowing others to have an opportunity to take up this space by taking a listening role, rather than talking breaks down the power dynamic of WMP. I also struggled to recognize that in many situations I am a representative of white males so I need to intentionally be aware of the damage that others have experienced from white males. This awareness changes how I can choose to show up in situations and can bring healing to everyone.

2 comments:

  1. I love this, Brian. It is no small thing that you took away from this experience and I so appreciate the openness with which you learned it. Thank you for that generosity of spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian, thank you for your willingness to push into this topic and be humble. Your insights are generous and eye opening.

    ReplyDelete