Wednesday, December 18, 2019

South Africa pre-departure

The day has finally arrived for the trip to South Africa! I have been managing my expectations well and feel like the reality of this trip has finally hit me. I am letting myself get psyched sitting here at the gate. It is a foggy day here at DIA and I’m sure there is some kind of metaphor for traveling out of the fog into the clarity of what this experience will be. I am looking forward to getting out into the wilderness and am terrified of the possibility of baboons. Something about those naked butts just creeps me out. I am looking forward to the learning that will happen while shadowing at the Haven, but something about it feels more like work, which I am not mentally ready to return to as of now. I am definitely in a vacation mindset and am curious to see if that will change before we shadow the South African social workers

1 comment:

  1. I don't remember you saying anything about your fear of the baboons! I could have reassured you about how unlikely it was for them to even be seen, nevermind interact with us.

    ReplyDelete